Thursday, October 10, 2013

Called by God


The young girl in the picture above could be my daughter, my precious little one. Knowing that it could be my family caught in the horrors of war, and having spent time experiencing the beauty of Syria's land, history, and people, my heart aches and my soul weeps for God's children in Syria. But God has also been convicting my heart--to seek peace, to love as Christ loves, and to step out in faith.

As this deadly and complicated conflict continues to wreak havoc on human lives, I can't help but feel like we've barely scratched the surface of creatively and effectively responding. What if walking toward the injured one on the side of the Jericho road was the best place to start? On Monday, October 7th, I will be traveling to Mafraq, Jordan to participate in a week of refugee ministry. I will be linking up with a group of students from Bethlehem Bible College, led by Pastor, Dean, and UMC Missionary, Alex Awad. We will be working with Pastor Nour Sahawneh and the people of his congregation to deliver relief supplies, listen to people's stories, and pray with families.

I am not entirely sure what all is going to come about from this experience, but I am hopeful that God will use it for good. In the last few days I have been overwhelmed by the courage and conviction of other persons who have traveled across the ocean before me. God is at work interweaving our lives, and connecting us with people in Jordan. The seeds of hope, peace, and love--emerging from the ashes, are glorious.  

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in helping me raise funds to support the refugee ministries of the Alliance Church in Mafraq. Your financial support will help provide food, cooking supplies, bedding, clothes, education, and safe gathering spaces. All funds raised will go directly to the the church. Please also pray for me, the Syrian people, the Christians in Mafraq, my family, and my church family.

If you would like to mail a donation, or have your donation considered a charitable contribution, please designate your gift to Refugee Ministry and mail to:

Grace United Methodist Church
PO Box 265
Piedmont, SD 57769

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior 

Hillsong United


To provide financial support to the refugee ministry, please visit:

No comments: